If you love the Wissahickon and enjoy working with people who share your interests, consider becoming a Crew Leader–committed to FOW’s mission of habitat protection in Wissahickon Valley Park.
Crew Leaders are volunteers who become skilled in leading volunteer groups in a park setting, building trails, restoring habitat, and sharing their knowledge and expertise with others. They work directly with our Volunteer & Field Coordinators to help plan and lead volunteer workdays throughout the park.
Crew Leaders also work with FOW volunteers, as well as FOW and Philadelphia Parks and Recreation staff. They help educate other volunteers on a daily basis and help FOW complete restoration work throughout the Wissahickon. Learn more.
Crew Leader trainees are able to choose their area of expertise and tailor their coursework accordingly. They share skills and training with other community groups, including Friends of Cresheim Trail, Philly Pumptrack and the Belmont Plateau Trail Alliance.
Choose from topics such as:
- Leadership and first aid
- Trail flagging
- Advanced machines training
- Forest management and plant identification
- Trail maintenance and tool safety
Crew Leaders Get it Done!
Crew Leader Accomplishments
- Planned and led projects at the Orange Trail trailhead at Bell’s Mill Road, Summit Street closure, Demo 1 Trail, Orange Trail by Historic RittenhouseTown, along the Yellow Trail north of Pachella Field, beneath the Walnut Lane Bridge and at Blue Bell Hill.
- Cleared more than two dozen trees in one week that were blocking trails from summer storms in 2015.
- Over 1200 hours of training and leadership since 2012.
- Classes held in 2015: Advanced Machine Operation, Volunteer Leadership, Trail Maintenance , First Aid, CPR & AED, Rigging Basics and Safety
- Crew Leader John Cassidy named Volunteer of the Year for 2014.
- Hurricane Sandy Clean Up – Over 85 trees removed. Crew Leaders helped lead over 70 volunteers for 300+ hours. 90% of the park was cleaned up in a matter of days.