FOW is hiring Seasonal Field Assistants
Friends of the Wissahickon (FOW) is seeking three (3) Seasonal Outreach Assistants to share FOW’s mission and responsible park use principles with park visitors around the Valley Green Inn and Devil’s Pool in Wissahickon Valley Park for approximately 10 weeks beginning July 2, 2019. This temporary position is primarily field-based and applicants should be comfortable with spending long periods of time outdoors in all-weather situations. Ideal candidates will have experience communicating with the public, be highly motivated, and be able to successfully work as part of a team. Bilingual (English/Spanish) speakers preferred.
Position: Seasonal Outreach Assistant
Schedule and Pay Rate: July 2 – September 8th. The required work schedule is Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday plus the Fourth of July and Labor Day holidays. The daily schedule is 11 am-6 pm. Pay rate for this position is $15.00/hr for 28 hours a week.
Position Summary: The Outreach Crew will be an important first point of contact for park users with our organization. Members of the seasonal outreach crew will be responsible for representing FOW throughout the busy summer season at one of the most visited locations in the park. The primary duty of the outreach team is to welcome visitors to Wissahickon Valley Park, educate and engage park visitors about responsible park use; informing them of park rules, Leave No Trace principles, FOW’s mission and stewardship work, and other duties as assigned. This will include setting up a table, tent and/or flag, handing out FOW outreach materials and welcoming park visitors around the Valley Green Inn and Devil’s Pool sections of the park.
· Regular and consistent attendance
· Communicating with park visitors responsible park use principles and promoting FOW’s core stewardship values in Wissahickon Valley Park, focused around the Valley Green Inn and Devil’s Pool areas
· Monitoring land and structures for unwanted use and vandalism and communicating the damage to the FOW staff
· Other outreach duties as assigned
· Excellent verbal communication and active listening skills.
· Customer service attitude.
· Responsible, reliable and dependable.
· Collaborative attitude and ability to work in a team environment.
· Ability to communicate well across cultures and diverse groups of people
· Willingness to work weekends and in all-weather conditions.
· Reliable transportation
· Flexibility when dealing with changes in work plans.
· Carry out tasks in a professional manner.
· Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions: Field Outreach Members will be required to physically perform, as needed, any and all tasks assigned to them. Must be able to lift 30-40 pounds and carry this weight over long distances working in all kinds of weather and walking over uneven terrain.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Friends of the Wissahickon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.